Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What is, "Save the Cat?"


What is, “Save the cat?”

For as long as I can remember, I have been taught the three-act format for writing a screenplay. It is what works and that’s how many insiders write their screenplays in the business.

I know this because I took a course a long time ago on screenwriting and then Syd Fields was the all-time favorite. He wrote the book called Foundations in Screenwriting, that everyone was using. I studied that book and felt that I had a handle on how to write for the screen. I didn’t think that I was an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I felt I could easily point out the format in any screenplay with a good degree of certainty.

Recently, I had a story meeting about a screenplay that I am writing and to tell you the truth, I saw how uncomfortable one guy was in his chair. I saw and felt his frustration with the story. His dislike exuded through his pores. It was a foul smell of, “What the heck is this?” in the air.

So instead of beating around the bush after the presentation, I asked what needed to be done to strengthen the story. After all, that is all that matters. The gags don’t count, the characters aren’t really that important. The audience has to fall in love with the story.

One of the guys mentioned the book, “Save the cat.” I had not ever heard of it. He went on to talk about not just looking at story in three acts but in beats. He said 15 beats to be exact.



Save the cat, is written by Blake Snyder. It claims to be, “The last book on screenwriting you’ll ever need.” I am hopeful that this statement is true. So, with hopes of turning this storyline around, I am purchasing the book along with a few others that Snyder has written and maybe my story will be, “The greatest story ever told.” Well except for the bible.

Here’s more info:

No comments:

Post a Comment