Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stop watching someone else’s dream and start creating yours!



Years ago I heard something that I can't seem to get out of my mind. When I heard it, I knew that I would remember it forever because it rang so true to my situation at the time. That “something” always pops into my mind when I am watching television for a while. It is the amount of time that I spend doing exactly what someone else planned for me to do. That I have been brained washed into watching complete nonsense and spectacle. I am watching someone else's dream that came true.


I start to think about what I could have accomplished in that amount of time. Can you imagine what you could create if you turned off the TV and wrote your own 30-minute situation comedy? What could happen if you created an idea of the next hit show?

This is what motivates me to write while I watch my addiction of MSNBC. It is hard for me to just turn my TV off when I want to know what’s going on in the political world. I need to know but I get mad at myself when I look around and have spent two hours watching it.

The point is that someone thought about that show that you like to watch every week. It was their idea and they worked hard to get you addicted but what about the show you thought about five years ago. Watching TV for hours on ends is a waste of your time and creative talents. 

Of course I am not really asking you to give up on TV because what happens when I do get my show on TV and no one is watching. I am simply saying that when you are watching; take some time to pursue your dreams. Plan to write something that day or use that TV time to think of ideas during the commercials.
 Stop watching someone else’s dream and start creating yours!

1 comment:

  1. This was totally great to read. This was something I needed to hear. I recently have been feeling this way. It is amazing what you can do just in 30 min of no T.V. time. Im not sure if you are aware but it is hard to see what your title says because of your picture. I think its a great idea to have it in the banner thought. I found it interesting that television isn't just affecting us but our children as well. In the following link i found out that television is directly linked to obesity and ignorance in our children.

    http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/16/too-much-tv-linked-with-thicker-weaker-kids/

    ReplyDelete